Recipe for Triple Chocolate Cake
Recipe Courtesy: Urvashi Shivnani - a Sweet Surrrender
Prep Time: 20 mins.
Bake Time: 40 mins
Makes 2 loaves or 1 x 10 inch cake
For the Sponge:
250g Plain Flour
300g Caster Sugar
65g Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder (or regular unsweetened cocoa powder)
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
3/4 tsp Salt
70ml Vegetable Oil
3 Medium Eggs
1 Egg Yolk
2 tsp Vanilla Essence/Extract
150ml Hot Boiling Water
2tsp Instant Coffee
120g Dark Chocolate - chopped
For the Ganache:
100ml Heavy Cream
150g Chocolate of choice
a pinch of salt
Making the sponge:
1. Preheat your oven to 175 degrees Celsius and grease and line your cake tin.
2. Place the chopped chocolate and cocoa powder in a large bowl and set aside.
3. Heat the water and milk, add instant coffee and dissolve. Turn off the heat once it starts to boil and pour this over the chopped chocolate and cocoa powder mixture. Let it sit for a minute and then stir gently to combine fully.
4. To the same bowl, now add the sugar and salt & whisk well. Add the yoghurt and oil and mix well till combined.
5. Once the mixture has cooled down to room temp (not piping hot as eggs will curdle), add in the eggs one by one, mixing after each egg. Add the vanilla.
6. In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and baking powder and add to the wet mixture. and gently mix until you no longer see any dry ingredients. Mix till just combined.
7. Pour the mixture into your prepared tins and bake for 40 minutes. Check the cake after 28 minutes. When a toothpick is inserted into the centre of the cake and it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
8. De-mould the cake and cool to room temperature on a cooling rack.
Making the ganache:
1. Chop up the chocolate and add to a medium sized glass bowl and keep aside.
2. In a saucepan, add the cream and heat till it reaches a simmer. Don't let it boil. Take it off the heat and pour it over the chopped chocolate.
3. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes and then whisk to incorporate the cream into chocolate until fully melted. If the chocolate does not melt fully, you can microwave it for 10 seconds and stir.
4. Let the ganache cool down completely till it reaches a spreadable consistency.
Decorating the cake:
Spread the ganache on top of the cake and serve.
Warm a slice of the cake and serve with some whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and some strawberries!
- Pastel Ceramic Deep Dish Plate
- Vintage Green Plate
- Vintage Engraved Teaspoons
- Grey Pentagon Platter
- Bon Appetit Cork Trivets
Click on product names to shop